Police have released images of a bomb they believe was intended to explode on Brexit night. 

The device, comprising of a number of parts including wires, was recovered by police attached to a lorry that dissident republicans had believed was bound for an Irish Sea ferry. The report received by police claimed the ferry was due to travel to Scotland.

Police believe there had been a plan to detonate it to mark Brexit.

The security alert was initially prompted when the Belfast newspaper the Irish News received a warning on Friday night that a device had been left on a trailer in Belfast docks.

READ MORE: Scotland-bound ferry 'targeted' by dissident Irish Republican Brexit Day bomb plot

Officers initially received a report than an explosive device was on a lorry, bound for Cairnryan, in Belfast docks last Friday. However, despite an extensive search, nothing was found.

East Kilbride Connect:

But three days later, on Monday, officers discovered a bomb attached to a lorry belonging to a named haulage company in a Co. Armagh industrial estate.

Police Service of Northern Ireland Assistant Chief Constable George Clarke said the "carnage" that could have been caused if the device had exploded was worrying to contemplate.

Officers have blamed the Continuity IRA for the botched terror bid last Friday night.

The Glasgow times reported on Tuesday of a "concerning item" being found at a Sainsbury's depot on Hurlawcrook Road in Langlands, East Kilbride, which resulted in the building being evacuated. 

READ MORE: Sainsbury's depot in East Kilbride evacuated in bomb scare

After a thorough search was conducted, nothing suspicious was found and the Sainsbury's site returned to normal business.

It is now beileved that the two incidents - occuring just days apart - are connected to the plot. 

READ MORE: East Kilbride Sainsbury's bomb scare 'linked to Continuity IRA Brexit Day attack plot'

East Kilbride Connect:

Speaking of the pictures, Detective Superintendent Sean Wright said the images "demonstrate the sheer recklessness" of those behind the plot.

He said: "Today I am releasing two photographs of the device found attached to a heavy goods vehicle in the Silverwood Industrial Estate.

"These images clearly show the explosive device attached to the lorry. They also demonstrate the sheer recklessness of those who knowingly put the driver, road users and the wider public at risk of death or serious injury.

"I continue to appeal to anyone who was in the area of Silverwood Industrial Estate between 4pm and 10pm on Friday January 31 and who may have noticed any unusual activity in the area to contact police.

"In addition I ask that anyone who was driving in the area and who would have dash-cam footage around these same times that they contact police, as a matter of urgency."